Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Meet Supriya



Since I got a nice chunk of writing out of the way, I decided to move on to character designs. Because I’ve usually already got a pretty good idea of what my characters look like, Jose and I decided it would move things along if I went ahead and sketched out the characters (Rather than us having to go back forth with him designing something, and me saying, “Eh, it’s good, but how about making it little more like this,” and him redesigning it, and me saying, “Well, I was thinking it would be a little more like that.”)


That said, here are some pages out of my sketchbook and a peek into my process of designing characters.





As a former aspiring costume designer, I always start with what a character is wearing. The first new werewolf story to be posted on our website is going to be set in 1971. That meant I had to flip through some fashion books and scroll through some google image results. I picked 1971 because it allows me to take a little from the 60s as well as the 70s. Best of both worlds!




The character, Supriya, is one of the protagonists. She’s a butt-kicking, cleaning-up-the-streets, good-guy (gal) werewolf like Justine, but she also enjoys being a girl. She has a very feminine look and prefers wearing stuff like this her down time.





Then it comes time to design the face. Just as important as working out the features of the face is capturing a couple of key expressions. Supriya has a bit of a disdain-toward-the-world attitude. (And a Twiggy sort of hairstyle.)





Look out! She means business.




A clearer drawing of the dress I decided would work best for chapter one, with hair and jewelry. Since I was a kid, I’ve had the habit of drawing costume designs without faces. I used to also never draw hands or feet, so you know, progress!





An action shot to show some movement of her clothes. Also, weapons! Those are personalized fighting sticks. They’ve got a few tricks up their sleeves so she can do a lot more than just hit monsters upside the head with them, though technically she should be wearing gloves because they’re made of silver.




Thanks for checking in with us. More later!





No comments:

Post a Comment